Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Adjusting to Uncontrollable Events

The title of this post probably sounds much worse than the situation really is. In fact, I never really had to think about how to adjust to the circumstances that changed earlier today. Just before 11 am this morning I was notified that the 2-20-2 Duathlon originally scheduled for February 23rd would take place on February 16th due to a scheduling conflict at the race site. This race is extremely low-key, but last year was my first overall multisport victory, during which I absolutely decimated the field by more than 12 minutes.

Despite being such a low-key race I was the 2nd person to register for the 2013 edition way back in mid-July last year. I knew that I wanted to defend my title and attempt to improve upon my course record of 1:22:48. With training going so well this year it seemed that both would be almost certain come race day. Unfortunately, fate intervened and the race was moved to the same morning that I will be running the Myrtle Beach Half-Marathon, the site where I set my half-marathon PR last year (1:17:43). Choosing to drop out of the duathlon rather than the half-marathon was a no-brainer for various reasons, not the least of which was my belief that I can also better my half-marathon time given the right conditions. While not being able to race the duathlon is unfortunate, I also know that it's not the end of the world. My course record is an extremely strong time that took two sub-12 minute 2 mile runs and averaging 22 mph on a challenging bike course to set and I have no doubt that it will stand up to the competition this year.

The developments left me with an interesting quandary, however, as it makes my first planned multisport race  of the year the Double Oak Duathlon on April 6th - my world championship qualifier. It is not ideal, nor practical, in my opinion for my first multisport race in almost 6 months, and first duathlon in 10.5 months to be my biggest race of my spring campaign. I turned to the internet in search of a possible race to replace 2-20-2 that would fit into my hectic race schedule. Enter the Winter Warrior Duathlon down in Bluffton, SC on March 9th.

Whilst there is every possibility of the Winter Warrior Duathlon being even less competitive as 2-20-2 was last year, it could actually suit my strengths even more. The format is a 2.5 mile run, an 11 mile bike, and another 2.5 mile run for a total of a mile extra running and 10 fewer miles biking compared to 2-20-2. Last year's winner won with a time of 1 hour and 10 minutes... I would aim for breaking the 1 hour barrier at the very least. The extra running distance and the flat out-and-bike bike course both play to my strengths and would allow me to see my competition at the midway point, whether that is to see the gap I must close down, or to intimidate my opposition with an insurmountable lead.

The change of schedule ultimately means slightly more travel as I'd be racing down near Savannah rather than close by Greenville, but it has some overall advantages:

  • Instead of racing another 80 minute race the week following a hard PR attempt at Myrtle Beach I'll have 3 weeks to prepare for a strong duathlon performance
  • A 1 hour race with almost half of that on the bike should still allow for a strong race in the NYC Half the week after
  • The race would provide a vital tune-up just 4 weeks before Double Oak rather than 6 weeks before
  • It provides a good reason to visit friends in Charleston after the race who I promised I'd see during this semester at some point
In the end the focus remains the same for this season - race my absolute best at the Double Oak Duathlon in order to qualify for the World Duathlon Championship and make a big statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment