Friday, May 4, 2012

Recent Training and Summer Preview

With the close of the spring semester, I am now heading home to Connecticut for the summer. My goal this summer is to put a big emphasis on solid, consistent training in order to perform at my best in races and to have a great base heading into the fall SECTC (Southeast Collegiate Triathlon Conference) season.

Recently, my training has been a bit inconsistent, from being injured and demoralized by not being able to run leading up to the Boston Marathon, to being slammed with waves of school work that completely threw off my schedule. In the past week, however, training has been improving and I've swam and biked each three times in the past 6 days, simply alternating days. Yesterday, I also added my second run since Collegiate Nationals, and made it through the hilly 6 mile trail route still on my feet and at a reasonable pace given the terrain. With a 2500 yd swim workout coming up today, I will have swam a personal greatest distance for 7 days of 9200 yds, biked 116.5 miles on 3 rides, and run 10 miles in a week with essentially no planned running. I know that if I continue to execute my workouts consistently over the next several months, I'll see some stellar times in races this summer!



My next several months of racing can be broken down into very distinct sections:

May to early July - High volume, base work, moving into speed workouts in June to prepare for summer sprints. I'm racing 1 duathlon (5/20), 1 sprint (6/17), and 2 Olympics (6/2 & 7/1) in this time period.

Early July to mid-August - The core of my summer racing schedule chock full of sprints, 3 of them (7/15, 7/29, & 8/5).

Mid-August to mid-October - Collegiate conference fall season. I'll be racing 3 Olympic distance conference races in this time period (8/26, 9/8, & 10/14) with a late-September "sprinternational" thrown in to stay in race shape.

One of the big changes I've made this year is the decision not to race anything longer than an Olympic distance triathlon. Simply put, this is because I want to perform better overall, and the best way to get faster is to train and race for faster races. With the volume I hope to be putting in for Olympic races, I hope to be well on my way to building a solid base for another attempt at a fast 70.3 race in the future, but 2012 is about refining technique, and getting faster in all 3 disciplines.

I'll do my best to provide more consistent updates throughout the summer, and will definitely try to preview each race well in advance with my specific goals for that event.

No comments:

Post a Comment