Monday, September 17, 2012

Erie Marathon at Presque Isle Race Report


This past weekend I travelled up to Erie, PA for the Erie Marathon at Presque Isle. I really can’t say anything bad about Erie or about the race. My goal heading into the weekend at a bare minimum was rather simple; qualify for the 2013 Boston Marathon.

As I posted in my post on Friday evening, the desire to run Boston again next year came about when I visited Wellesley over the summer. Driving along the marathon course made me want to run again. The only problem was that I didn’t have a qualifying race recent enough for next year’s race. The registration period for the Boston Marathon began last week and continued this week with their new rolling process admitting the fastest runners first. To be on the safe side, in case the race fills this week, I knew I had to run a race before this week to qualify. A quick search led me to the Erie Marathon and I soon signed up. 

My training going into the race was not ideal. The first 4 weeks after I decided to run were during the summer when I was working with children outside for 9 hours a day. The last 4 weeks have been the first 4 weeks of the fall semester and I never managed to get into a good training routine. Fortunately, I did compete in some races during those 8 weeks, including winning a wet, hilly 11-miler 4 weeks ago in 1:05:58. Another race 2 weeks ago (10k in 37:31) proved I was still in reasonable shape and one 14.5 mile training run that felt good gave me a bit more confidence heading into the marathon.

My plan heading into the race was to start out slowly – really slowly. I had planned to go through 10k no faster than 42 minutes. I’m not sure I really expected to go that slow, and by race morning I was feeling positive enough that I didn’t want to start out that slow as it was time I wouldn’t be able to get back later on. The first mile was fast. I hit the marker in 6:13 before easing up for a 6:41 second mile. Midway through the second mile, Justin Sicilia caught up to me and we proceeded to run side-by-side for the next 20 miles. Along with the amount of conversation I had back in my 11-miler, this has made me realize that I am an extremely talkative runner in longer races. The official 10k split came by in 39:51 after Justin and I had settled into a steady pace of miles in the 6:20s. According to SportTracks, my first 10k split came in at 40:07, followed by consecutive 10k splits of 40:17. This brought me through 30k in 2:00:41 along with an official halfway split of 1:24:36 – 12 seconds faster than I had been in the Miami Marathon when I set my PR!

After hitting the official 20 mile split in 2:09:39, now 1:32 behind my pace in Miami, I began to slow rather substantially. Really, this isn’t surprising given that I was 6 miles beyond my longest training run with another 6 miles to go. Over the final 4 miles I suffered considerably and fell from 8/9th place alongside Justin to 11th place at the finish. Fortunately none of my miles fell below 8 minutes, however, and I managed to avoid walking at all. With the finish line in sight I thought I might still be able to get under 2:55 which would beat my qualifying time by more than 10 minutes, not that it would matter having missed the BQ-10 registration period last week. I crossed in 2:55:09 to place 11th overall. I would have loved to be top-10 or even top-5 but given the amount of training I had done and my goal of simply qualifying for Boston I can’t be unhappy with this performance. All there is to really say is “Mission Accomplished” and look forward to my next few races.

Next up is the SECTC Collegiate Championship race over the Olympic distance at Rev3 Anderson on October 14th before aiming to go sub-2:50 at the Kiawah Island Marathon in December. Provisionally, I am planning on running the Richmond Half-Marathon on November 10th as part of my build-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment