Sunday, January 16, 2011

2011 - A Preview

Welcome to my training blog! This is where I'll post my race reports, training notes, and anything else that I come up with that pertains to athletics.

For my first post, I'll outline what my current plan is for this year as well as wrap up the past couple of months of training that have put me in the shape I am today. My training to this point since the conclusion of the triathlon season last fall has been focused around the upcoming ING Miami Marathon on January 30th!

The important things to note about my training over the past 3 months are that I've really stuck to a plan much better than ever before. After completing Ironman 70.3 Miami last October I began using TrainingPeaks online to map out my marathon training and upload my data after each workout. This has really helped me keep on track and led me to new personal bests for the 15k and half-marathon along the way. In addition to having kept to my own running schedule, I have been working with Eric Limkemann (http://www.ericlimkemanntriathlon.com/) of the Sport Factory (www.thesportfactory.com) as my coach since the middle of December. Eric has been an exceptional resource in helping motivate my training as well as supplementing my run workouts with swimming and biking in order to provide a strong starting point going into the triathlon season.



My Race Schedule for 2011 (Races in bold are most important)


January 9: Boston Buildup 10k - Rowayton, CT - see race report below
January 15: Charleston Half-Marathon - Charleston, SC - see race report in next post
January 30: ING Miami Marathon - Miami, FL
Currently no races planned for February
March 5: Reedy River 10k - Greenville, SC
March 19: Parris Island Sprint Triathlon - Parris Island, SC
April 9: Collegiate National Triathlon Championship - Tuscaloosa, AL
May 14: Clemson Sprint Triathlon - Clemson, SC
June 5: Ironman 70.3 Mooseman - Newfound Lake, NH
A couple of low key triathlons in June & July
August 21: Age Group National Triathlon Championship - Burlington, VT
Southeastern Collegiate Triathlon Conference races through October
October 30: Ironman 70.3 Miami - Miami, FL




Race Report


Boston Buildup 10k - Rowayton, CT (January 9, 2011)
I kicked off the year with a local road race that is part of a series building up to the Boston Marathon in April. The decision to run the race was rather last minute as snow had foiled my plans to run a tempo workout on Saturday. An "easy" 10k equals a 4 x 2 mile workout, right?
The first 5k was almost entirely downhill or flat that resulted in my going out at around 6:00/mi. Well, that and the clear misjudgment of the caliber of the field. Looking at past results I had determined that the time I planned on running (38:45) would put me somewhere around 10th place overall but this year I sat in about 25th after going through the first 2 miles in 11:53. The 5k came up at 18:45 (exactly on 6:00 pace & just slightly slower than my previous PR) and I had moved up to my final position of 19th overall. As the first half had been downhill, though, the second half included a lot of uphill, and the chill of a sub-freezing air temperature was beginning to takes its hold. My closing 5k was an unfortunate 20:34 to finish in 39:19. Hopefully by the time triathlon season comes around I will be able to hit that time (or faster) after coming off the bike. In all, despite the mediocre second half to my race, it served its purpose of being a good tempo run getting the feeling of running hard ingrained in my muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment